Topic: Hex Win Proof?
Replies: 41   Last Post: Mar 24, 2004 6:39 PM

Robin Chapman

Re: Hex Win Proof?

Torben �idius Mogensen wrote:

> Indeed, if we want to prove it to a mathematician who does not already
> accept the intermediate value theorem (of which the intersection
> property is a simple consequence).

Is it?

Now I presume this "intersection property" can be paraphrased as
"a path with endpoints at two opposite vertices of a square with
all other points in the interior of the square must meet a path
with endpoints at the other two vertices of the square with
all other points in the interior of there square".

That's a simple consequence of the intermediate value theorem, is it?

I must be stupid, since the only way I can see to prove that is
using the Jordan Curve Theorem. :-(

--
Robin Chapman, www.maths.ex.ac.uk/~rjc/rjc.html
"Lacan, Jacques, 79, 91-92; mistakes his penis for a square root, 88-9"

Date Subject Author
3/18/04
Read Hex Win Proof?
Bill Taylor