The Math Forum

Topic: Failing Linear Algebra:
Replies: 54   Last Post: Jan 10, 2007 12:47 PM

George Cox

Re: Failing Linear Algebra:

Anonymous wrote:

> rusin@vesuvius.math.niu.edu (Dave Rusin) wrote in message news:<c69sdb$oi7$1@news.math.niu.edu>...

> > [...]
> > right this minute, define what a vector space is?
> >

> [...] but I think I may finally be getting a
> grip on what a vector space is:
>
> It's a group of vectors that can be multiplied by any scalar and/or
> added together in any way, and whatever possible combinations that can
> result is the "vector space" for that group of vectors. This is how I
> understand it. [...]

Then you're wrong. This waffle is next to useless. What is the precise
definition? If the precise definition has words like "abelian group" in
it, then what is the precise meaning of them? And so on.

Read David C Ullrich's reply to your op, it's good advice. (Which will
also apply to other pure mathematics courses.) Having memorized the
definitions, begin to understand them by constructing examples for
yourself. The true understanding will come when you read proofs of
theorems and appreciate that the definitions were phrased in just the
way they are so as to make the theorems true.

Also, what book do you read? If it doesn't have good hard exercises in
it, then read another.

--
G.C.
Note ANTI, SPAM and invalid to be removed if you're e-mailing me.

Date Subject Author
4/22/04
Read Failing Linear Algebra:
Guest