The Math Forum

Topic: Failing Linear Algebra:
Replies: 54   Last Post: Jan 10, 2007 12:47 PM

Russell Blackadar

Re: Failing Linear Algebra:

I see that I forgot to address one point in my earlier reply.

On 29 Apr 2004 20:35:59 GMT, Anonymous wrote:

[snip]

>Yes. We call all of the variables that appear first in any of the equations,
>when the system is in echelon form, "basic variables". The other ones are
>called "free variables". So, in any system in echelon form, the number of
>basic variables equals the number of equations. Is that what you mean by
>"n-r", where r is the number of free variables (dimension of the kernel)?

Yes, you understood me correctly here, but as I said in a followup, it
would have been less confusing if I had chosen a different letter than
r since my notational choice is probably opposite to what you will
find in books. So, let's use k instead. With that change, k is the
number of free variables (dimension of the kernel) and n-k is the
number of basic variables.

Or,
>is your "r" actually the basic variables and "n-r" the frees?

The rank of the matrix (frequently denoted r, though not in my
system, same as the number of basic variables, and same as the
dimension of the image.

I hope you don't come away from this with the vague feeling that this
is all very confusing. It's really as simple as can be. I apologize
for my notational blunder; pretend that I wrote "k" in my earlier post
and you shouldn't get confused.

Date Subject Author
4/22/04
Read Failing Linear Algebra: