The Math Forum

Topic: Failing Linear Algebra:
Replies: 54   Last Post: Jan 10, 2007 12:47 PM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Failing Linear Algebra:

On 27 Apr 2004 13:19:40 -0700, Anonymous wrote:

>David C. Ullrich <ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote in message news:<ipth80lfrcm14ija6gj1tegirelvmhdgql@4ax.com>...
>> On 22 Apr 2004 15:44:12 -0700, Anonymous wrote:
>>

>> >I'm currently a math major and am taking linear algebra, but I'm in
>> >serious danger of failing. I just don't get it! Is this newsgroup a
>> >place to come to ask questions and get information about learning
>> >math? Or is there somewhere more appropriate to go? I've always had
>> >trouble with vectors, and I think I fell apart sort of right at the
>> >beginning of linear algebra (although, I did manage to get a B- on the
>> >very first exam). I've got another exam next week. What can I do? I
>> >don't get all the terms, concepts, and jargon. Anyone know how to
>> >make learning linear algebra easier and more practical? Anyone got
>> >any practice problems?

>Thanks for the post. I've read it all the way through and agree and
>understand what you're saying. About the definitions, I like your
>definition for "basis": "independent spanning set" because it's short
>and simple. Therefore, it's *easy* to memorize. My text book would
>tend to defend the basis in a really, really abstract way like: "Let S
>[contained in symbol] V be a subset of V. If *x* [element symbol] S =
>a1x1 + a2x2 + ... + a^nx^n = *0*, then *x* is a basis if a^i (1 < i <
>n) = 0 for all a^i and Span(V) = S.", or something really wordy and
>convoluted like that. I mean, I eventually understand what the
>definition is saying. But, "independent spanning set" is just so much
>easier, IMO.

Glad you liked the definition. The only reason it seemed simpler
than the definition in the book is that I didn't define the words
"independent" and "spanning".

Here's the deal with definitions. But it only works if you know
them _exactly_ right, including the wordy convoluted ones.
If you take "independent spanning set" and insert the
defintions of "independent" and "spanning" you'll get the
definition of "basis" in the book.

************************

David C. Ullrich

Date Subject Author