Topic: Maths question
Replies: 354   Last Post: May 31, 2007 8:04 PM

Troy Piggins

Re: Maths question

["Followup-To:" header set to aus.tv.]
* Big LN is quoted & my replies are inline below :
> "Mark" <buggy@earwax.com> wrote in message

>> Can somebody exlpain this one?
>>
>> (warning, maths question..)
>>
>> There are some answers on the site, but I still don't get why the
>> answer is what it is...
>>
>> http://www.smart-kit.com/s313/the-best-simple-math-brain-teaser-and-the-controversy-that-surrounded-the-answer/
>>
>> Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given a choice of three
>> doors. Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a
>> door - say, No. 1 - and the host, who knows what's behind the doors,
>> opens another door - say, No. 3 - which has a goat. He then says to
>> you,"Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to
>> switch your choice?

> Yes. You'd increase your odds from 1/3 to 2/3.
> The best way to imagine it is pretend there are 100 doors.
> Your pick is therefore a 1/100 chance.
> The host opens 98 other doors where the goats are.
> The other door now has a 99/100 chance so you'd switch.

Wrong. You don't know if the door you already picked has goat or
car.

In the original 3 door question, you have a 1 in 3 chance of
getting it right. Once a door with goat is revealed, your
chances increase to 1 in 2, not matter if you change doors or
not.

In your 100 door analogy, original odds are 1 in 100 as you say,
but with 98 doors revealed, you still only have a 1 in 2 chance.

--
Troy Piggins

Date Subject Author
5/24/07
Read Maths question
Mark
5/24/07
Read Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Troy Piggins
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Mark
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
fish.
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Mark
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
wshun
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
gnasher729
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Marshall
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
gnasher729
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
Duggy
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Glen Wheeler
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
mike3
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
mike3
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
DungeonRaider
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
BigMama
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Richard Kelly
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Glen Wheeler
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Richard Kelly
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Bevan
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
RM
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
Richard Kelly
5/25/07
Read Re: Re: Maths question
jherth
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
mike3
5/28/07
Read Re: Maths question
Example E-Mail Account
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Jussi Piitulainen
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Jussi Piitulainen
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Mike Kelly
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
werdan
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Mike Kelly
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Mike Kelly
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Mike Kelly
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Mike Kelly
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Glen Wheeler
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
werdan
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
Glen Wheeler
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
werdan
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/28/07
Read Re: Maths question
Randy Poe
5/28/07
Read Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/28/07
Read Re: Maths question
Randy Poe
5/28/07
Read Re: Maths question
Randy Poe
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Russell Blackadar
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Bart Goddard
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Chock
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Chock
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Randy Poe
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Richard Kelly
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Troy Piggins
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
werdan
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Troy Piggins
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Big LN
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Peter Dingleberry
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
BigMama
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
werdan
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
werdan
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - Wrong
[...]
Read Re: Maths question - Try this you non-believers
[...]
Mark Nudelman
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - Try this you non-believers
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - Try this you non-believers
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - Try this you non-believers
Phil Carmody
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - Try this you non-believers
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - Try this you non-believers
Jesse F. Hughes
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - Try this you non-believers
Jussi Piitulainen
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - FINALLY - THE ANSWER
Black Tiger
5/26/07
[...]
Read Re: Maths question - totally correct actually
pomerado@hotmail.com
[...]
Dave Seaman
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - totally correct actually
Richard Kelly
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - Wrong
Virgil
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - Wrong
Richard Kelly
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
BigMama
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
none
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
BigMama
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
BigMama
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
Glen Wheeler
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
Randy Poe
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
John Morriss
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
none
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
jherth
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
Tom N
[...]
donstockbauer@hotmail.com
5/26/07
[...]
BigMamma
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
Richard Kelly
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
Mike Kelly
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
Russell Blackadar
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
gnasher729
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
Russell Blackadar
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
Tom N
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
gnasher729
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
Sylvain Croussette
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
jherth
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
John Morriss
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
G. A. Edgar
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question - It's like this
Phil Carmody
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question -- What you all don't get
BigMama
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question -- What you all don't get
Bart Goddard
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question -- this is *the* solution
[...]
Sylvia Else
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
Richard Kelly
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
gnasher729
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Richard Kelly
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
gnasher729
5/27/07
Read Re: Maths question
Richard Kelly
5/28/07
Read Re: Maths question
jherth
5/28/07
Read Re: Maths question
Example E-Mail Account
5/31/07
Read Re: Maths question
Ben Rudiak-Gould
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question
MTBrenneman@gmail.com
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Phil Carmody
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question -- THE REAL EXPLANATION
BigMamma
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question -- THE REAL EXPLANATION
Glen Wheeler
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question -- THE REAL EXPLANATION
jherth
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question -- THE REAL EXPLANATION
Glen Wheeler
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question -- THE REAL EXPLANATION
Jesse F. Hughes
5/25/07
Read Re: Maths question -- THE REAL EXPLANATION
Richard Kelly
5/26/07
Read Monty Hall Simulation (Re: Maths question)
Dave Burt
5/26/07
Read Re: Monty Hall Simulation (Re: Maths question)
Big LN
5/26/07
Read Re: Maths question
Richard Kelly