Topic: Famous Mathematica 5.0 not working with Mathematica 6?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 12:39 PM

Jean-Marc Gulliet

Re: Famous Mathematica 5.0 not working with Mathematica 6?

Anonymous wrote:
> Hello. I am performing an evaluation of Mathematica 6 with the demo
> version on both Windows XP 32 bits and OS X 10.4.9. However both crash
> when evaluating the famous Karl's Mathematica benchmark:
> http://www2.staff.fh-vorarlberg.ac.at/~ku/karl/timings50.html
>
> Did anyone experience the same thing? Have you got any suggestion?
> Thank you.

Hi,

I have done some more testing, and the culprit seems to be the graphic
engine. Having commented out the following two expressions from Karl's
original notebook,

Timing[Plot3D[Sin[x y], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {y, 0, 2 \[Pi]},
PlotPoints -> 4000, DisplayFunction -> Identity]][[1]],
Timing[Plot3D[Evaluate[q4[x, t]], {x, -40, 40}, {t, -40, 40},
PlotPoints -> 2000, DisplayFunction -> Identity]][[1]]

Mathematica did not consume too much memory.

Moreover, if one loads the legacy graphic engine

In[1]:= << Version5`Graphics`

then evaluating the following expression

In[2]:= Plot3D[Sin[x y], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {y, 0, 2 \[Pi]},
PlotPoints -> 4000, DisplayFunction -> Identity]

Out[2]= --SurfaceGraphics--

works fine. However, evaluating the same expression with the new graphic
engine eats up all the memory available.

In[3]:= << Version6`Graphics`

In[4]:= Plot3D[Sin[x y], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {y, 0, 2 \[Pi]},
PlotPoints -> 4000, DisplayFunction -> Identity]

Regards,
Jean-Marc