The Math Forum

Topic: Help with probability&stat problem
Replies: 47   Last Post: Jun 16, 2007 4:32 AM

Randy Poe

Re: Help with probability&stat problem

On Jun 11, 1:27 pm, tutorny <tuto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks so much for your reply!
>

> > I read that as the probability that 30 or more leave. You've apparently
> > read it as the probability that 30 or fewer leave. The longer I look
> > at the question, the less sure I am which of us is correct.

> A lot of us in the class had issue with the wording of the problem.
> We emailed the professor, and she said that the correct understanding
> is "30 or fewer leave" or P(x <=30), so that's what I've been working
> with.

My answer is based on the assumption that the professor
wanted P(x>=30).

If this is what she meant, I don't think she's using the
phrase "as many as" correctly. Your approach is correct for
what is apparently the correct interpretation.

- Randy

Date Subject Author
6/11/07
Read Help with probability&stat problem
tutorny
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
briggs@encompasserve.org
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
tutorny
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Randy Poe
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
tutorny
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Bruce Weaver
C6L1V@shaw.ca
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Randy Poe
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
tutorny
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Nick
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/12/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/12/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/12/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/12/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/12/07
Read Binomial law DF: a simple program
Luis A. Afonso
6/13/07
Read Re: Binomial law DF: a simple program
Jack Tomsky
6/13/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/13/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Anon.
6/13/07
[...]
Read FALSIFICATION
Luis A. Afonso
6/13/07
Read Re: FALSIFICATION
Jack Tomsky
6/13/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/13/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/14/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/14/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/14/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/14/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/15/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/15/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/15/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/15/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/15/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/16/07