The Math Forum

Topic: Help with probability&stat problem
Replies: 47   Last Post: Jun 16, 2007 4:32 AM

Jack Tomsky

Re: Help with probability&stat problem

> Bob wrote:
>

> *** I'll leave it to others to decide whether 0.9717
> and 0.9786 are more than slightly different, ***
>
> My response
>
> You SHOULD NOT leave to others but to THINK ABOUT.
> The way I posted is the *one* when the signal o the
> error I unimportant.
> You made an error of analysis: it is not throughout
> the Z values that the errors must be chosen but by
> the associated tail probabilities, evidently.
> *********************
>
> Bob:
>
> *** But i find this curious: are you really saying
> that one must use the Normal approximation with a
> continuity correction, rather than the exact binomial
> calculation? If so, why? And why can't this be
> disputed? ***
>
> My response
>
> OF COURSE NOT: I didn?t and I?ll never say such
> nonsense.
>
> The reason by which the normal approximation is used
> is that is immediate. On contrary the exact way needs
> computer programming. If available, do not hesitate:
> use it. If not, the only *decent* way is to use the
> continuity correction.
>
> IT`S SIMPLE, ISN`T IT?
> **********************
>
> Licas

I think that it is indecent to approximate the exact Prob(X <=10) of .001560 by a normal approximation of 0.002115 and then to apply a correction factor to make it even worse at 0.003061.

Jack

Date Subject Author
6/11/07
Read Help with probability&stat problem
tutorny
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
briggs@encompasserve.org
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
tutorny
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Randy Poe
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
tutorny
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Bruce Weaver
C6L1V@shaw.ca
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Randy Poe
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
tutorny
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Nick
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/11/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/12/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/12/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/12/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/12/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/12/07
Read Binomial law DF: a simple program
Luis A. Afonso
6/13/07
Read Re: Binomial law DF: a simple program
Jack Tomsky
6/13/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/13/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Anon.
6/13/07
[...]
Read FALSIFICATION
Luis A. Afonso
6/13/07
Read Re: FALSIFICATION
Jack Tomsky
6/13/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/13/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/14/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/14/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/14/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/14/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/15/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/15/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/15/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/15/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Jack Tomsky
6/15/07
Read Re: Help with probability&stat problem
Luis A. Afonso
6/16/07