The Math Forum

Topic: Random numbers
Replies: 64   Last Post: Dec 24, 2007 1:04 PM

Phil Carmody

Re: Random numbers

quasi <quasi@null.set> writes:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:13:37 -0500, quasi <quasi@null.set> wrote:
>

> >On 21 Dec 2007 14:53:38 +0200, Phil Carmody
> ><thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> >>Wrong. Care to back up your claim? Between you and me, I
> >>reckon you've not thought about my response enough.

> >Yes, do a simulation, and then _you_ think about it.

> >>Wrong. If you stretch the numbers out, you'll leave gaps
> >>between them, these aren't actual reals, you did realise
> >>that, right? You *need* 2 calls to ensure that you leave
> >>no gaps.

> >Forget gaps -- your method is biased!

> Ok, your method for the real case is not biased -- sorry.

Gawd, don't apologise for that. It's horribly biased, and
I don't care. In fact gGaps are in fact nothing but bias -
P(x : x \in gap) = 0.

> But your integer method is biased, and badly so.

Well duh! You don't think that was deliberate, do you?

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration

Date Subject Author
12/21/07
Read Random numbers
Champ