Topic: discrete structures
Replies: 9   Last Post: Apr 13, 2008 10:14 PM

magidin@math.berkeley.edu

Re: discrete structures

In article <m5q3s3dbq3ujhgjpa63mcbkictmhg7ht6j@4ax.com>,
quasi <quasi@null.set> wrote:
>On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:45:23 EST, Nichole <xnicole13x@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>(a) Let n and a be positive integers with gcd(a, n)=1. Prove that the equation a x?1(mod n) has a solution.
>> (b) Solve 271 x ? 1 (mod 1003)
>> (c) Solve 7008x ? 1(mod 7919)
>>
>>any ideas or thoughts??

>For part (a), here's an outline ...
>
>(1) Define f: Z_n to Z_n by f(x) = a*x.

Geez, too much, and for all you know the poster does not even know
what Z_n means. How about using what you suggest for (b) and (c), and
then using (a) for (b) and (c)?

>For parts (b) and (c), read up on the Euclidean algorithm. Using the

"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about
what I accept as reality."
--- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson)

Arturo Magidin
magidin-at-member-ams-org