The Math Forum

Topic: Question about proof by contradiction
Replies: 92   Last Post: Mar 15, 2008 12:59 AM

LudovicoVan

From: London
Registered: 2/8/08
Re: Question about proof by contradiction

> On 2008-03-10, in sci.math, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
> > If you take into account the empty set, your system
> can handle
> > paradox without being inconsistent.
>
> You have in mind not the empty set, but rather a
> deep-fried banana,
> have you not?
>
> --
> Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@xortec.fi)
>
> "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man
> schweigen"
> - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus
> s Logico-Philosophicus

Sorry mate, what I've in mind is this: http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=1708310&tstart=0

Please, do dis-prove me.

BTW, here is an extract from a letter from Wittgenstein to Russel, 1921, which I think sheds some light (I'm afraid I'll have to traslate, I've got it in Italian):

"I believe our problems track down to _atomic_ propositions. You'll see it if you try to precisely explain how the Copula is such propositions has meaning. I cannot explain it and I believe that, once an exact answer is given to this question, the problem of <<v>> and of the apparent variable will be _much_ nearer its solution, if not solved. Now I think above <<Socrates is a man>> (the good old Socrates!)."

The good old Ludwig!!

Explaining that meaning, by means of the empty set "we" are, is indeed what I have shown (again, until dis-proved).

Julio

Date Subject Author
3/9/08
Read Question about proof by contradiction
goodchild.trevor@gmail.com
3/9/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
LudovicoVan
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Aatu Koskensilta
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
LudovicoVan
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Aatu Koskensilta
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
LudovicoVan
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Aatu Koskensilta
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
LudovicoVan
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
LudovicoVan
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
G. Frege
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
LudovicoVan
3/9/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
fishfry
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
LudovicoVan
3/9/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
goodchild.trevor@gmail.com
3/9/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Aatu Koskensilta
3/9/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
goodchild.trevor@gmail.com
3/9/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
donstockbauer@hotmail.com
3/10/08
[...]
Herman Jurjus
3/10/08
[...]
Marshall
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
G. Frege
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
G. Frege
3/10/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
LudovicoVan
3/11/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Marshall
3/11/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
3/11/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
3/12/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
G. Frege
3/13/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
3/12/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
3/12/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
pn4039@albany.edu
3/12/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Jack Markan
3/12/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
G. Frege
3/13/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
pn4039@albany.edu
3/13/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
3/13/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
G. Frege
3/14/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
pn4039@albany.edu
3/14/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
G. Frege
3/14/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
3/14/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
G. Frege
3/14/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Michael Press
3/13/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Timothy Murphy
3/13/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Marshall
3/13/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Timothy Murphy
3/13/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
quasi
3/13/08
[...]
3/15/08
Read Re: Question about proof by contradiction
Tim Little
[...]
Jesse F. Hughes
3/10/08