The Math Forum

Topic: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Replies: 28   Last Post: Mar 14, 2008 8:32 PM

J. Antonio Perez M.

Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node

On Mar 11, 5:51 pm, G. Frege <nomail@invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Tonico <Tonic...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >> "In graph theory, a tree is a graph in which any two vertices are
> >>  connected by /exactly one/ path."

> > Where did you get that definition from?
>
> Wikipedia. Entry "Tree (graph theory)".
>

> > According to it, the perimeter of a triangle is a tree...
> > which, of course, it is not.

> Wait a second. If the nodes of your triangle were, say a, b, c then
> (say) a, b would be connected by more than one path:
>
>         p_1 = ((a,b), (b,c), (c,a))
>
>         p_2 = ((a,b), (b,c), (c,a), (a,b), (b,c), (c,a))
> [ or
>         p_3 = ((a,c), (c,b), (b,a)) ]
>
> See?

Not really: in fact, I have no idea what you meant to denote by p_2.
When I talked of the perimeter of a triangle I meant a 2-simplex, or
the vertices-paths's graph denoted by, say p_1...I can't see how a
single pair of vertices would in this case be connected by more than
one path.

Regards
Tonio

Date Subject Author
3/11/08
Read An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
[...]
briggs@encompasserve.org
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
David R Tribble
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
LudovicoVan