The Math Forum

Topic: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Replies: 28   Last Post: Mar 14, 2008 8:32 PM

Tony Orlow

Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node

Tonico wrote:
> On Mar 11, 5:42 pm, Tony Orlow <t...@lightlink.com> wrote:
>> G. Frege wrote:

>>> Such a structure (graph) is not a /tree/ any more (since a tree does not
>>> have cycles _by definition_).
>>> See:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_(graph_theory)
>>> F.

>> "In graph theory, a tree is a graph in which any two vertices are
>> connected by exactly one path."

> Where did you get that definition from?

It's what it says on that Wikipedia page G. Frege cited. :)

According to it, the perimeter
> of a triangle is a tree...which, of course, it is not.

That's true. Perhaps Wikipedia wasn't the best source to cite.

> A tree is a connected graph without any cycles. Period. This is not an
> "alternative" definition to the nonsense written above. This is THE
> definition of a tree in graph theory and it is not equivalent to what
> you wrote above.
>
> Regards
> Tonio
>
> Ps. By the way, are you trying to make some point by tagging a binary
> ""tree"" the way you did? Where are you heading?

Good question. I'm partly just sharing the idea of extrapolating
backwards above the root node to see what might give rise to it in the
first place. I thought it a nice discovery.

Let's say we number the root on level 0 as 1 and the subroot as 0. As we
number the nodes at each level, we have 2^n nodes up to and including
level n, for n>-1. This would appear to be a power set relation, would
it not? Indeed, if we identify each node by the bit string leading from
subroot 0 to that node, where a 0 is a left branch and a 1 is a right,
then each of those bit strings is a unique binary natural, with no
natural excluded, and alternatively represents a unique subset of the
set of levels, with no subset excluded. A left branch 0 may be
considered to exclude that level, and a right branch 1 to include it.
Thus this countably infinite set of binary naturals IS the power set of
the countably infinite set of levels, and some contradiction ensues
regarding the power set result.

This is related to the question as to the required depth for a binary
tree with a countably infinite number of paths. How deep was that again?

Have a nice day.

Tony

Date Subject Author
3/11/08
Read An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
briggs@encompasserve.org
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
David R Tribble
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
LudovicoVan