Topic: a little light humor
Replies: 21   Last Post: Jul 11, 2008 1:49 PM

Euclid6675@aol.com

Re: a little light humor
att1.html (5.0 K)

It¹s a matter of what cultural references students from various backgrounds
have. If you favor the backgrounds of some over others by embedding the
math in contexts that certain students are unfamiliar with then I would
agree with Sharon and others who indicate that the exam question(s) is(are)
not fair to some. While I do not disagree that part of knowing mathematics
is being able to apply it to real life contexts we need to be careful what
contexts are used (why not include a diagram lets say) so that some students
are not unfairly penalized because even though they know the math, they do
not share the same cultural references as those valued by the test makers.
We can as teachers talk about and introduce various context and types of
problems but these high stakes exams should be written more carefully with
respect to contexts. There are a number of individuals that write
extensively about this. W. F. Tate (1994, I believe) has a great and
compelling article about this.

--Lidia G

On 6/29/08 6:22 PM, "msedfun@aol.com" <msedfun@aol.com> wrote:

> On Long Island, many homes have rectangular walkways, where the rectangle is
> outlined in bricks, and the area within the rectangle is cement. So if I
> lived in Long Island, and all the walkways I saw had bricks around the
> perimeter, might I not assume that although the problem said 54 SQUARE feet of
> brick, that I might have to find perimeter? I'm not saying that this is the
> correct way to interpret a problem, but if SED is giving REAL LIFE APPLICATION
> - then these kids didn't get a fair shake.
>
> Sharon

>> And then the thought process is - how could it be a RECTANGULAR walkway if
>> it
>>
>> is around a garden? Aha! Rectangular means it has the shape of a rectangle.
>>
>> Much younger students can tell you that.

"It will be a fine day when our schools get all the money they
need and the air force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber."