Topic: using matlab in batch mode
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jul 8, 2008 4:02 AM

Walter Roberson

Re: using matlab in batch mode

In article <d91c5c5c-8e72-4ea6-849e-0eb384bf20df@z66g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
mauro <mauro.australia@gmail.com> wrote:

>I tried this, but it opens anyway the "desktop", and there is this
>message:
>"??? Undefined variable "testRemote" or class "testRemote.m"."
>I called "testRemote.m" a little matlab test program, and I launched
>exactly this
>matlab -nosplash -r testRemote.m
>from the same directory where testRemote.m is!!!

You need to leave off the '.m'. Without the .m the -r argument
becomes the command to execute (through the normal command
resolution procedure, which includes looking for functions).
With the .m the -r argument became a request to display the
field named 'm' of the structure named 'testRemote'.

>I also tried:
>matlab -nosplash -r testRemote
>but the same result!

>I'm using Linux, but I don't think it is because of that (or at least
>I hope so).

You specifically said "PC" in your original message. A personal computer
running Linux is usually referred to a "desktop", not as a "PC"
(which implies Windows.)

The startup options for Matlab are slightly different for Linux;
the documentation I referred you to listed them. In particular on
Linux if you do not want graphics to come up, you should use
the '-nodesktop' option as well as -nosplash

matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -r FunctionName

--
"The human mind is so strangely capricious, that, when freed from
the pressure of real misery, it becomes open and sensitive to the