Topic: polygon creation from lat lon info
Replies: 2   Last Post: Feb 15, 2009 11:28 AM

Walter Roberson

Re: polygon creation from lat lon info

ulas im wrote:

> i am trying to create a polygon from four corners that i ve the lat lon info of.
> the object is to create the polygon first and then check if a number of
> points fall inside the polygon.

Which geoid model?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoid

Do you have access to the symbolic toolbox? If not, then you will only
be able to run the calculations -approximately-, and you are going to get
the wrong answers for some points, especially if the polygon is extremely
close to or straddles the North Pole or South Pole.

Yes, the implication of my questions *is* that in order to solve this
problem, you *must* take into account the curvature of the Earth.
Latitude and Longitude are -spherical- measures, so the calculation of
what is "inside" or "outside" must be done in spherical space.