The Math Forum

Topic: michelson morley experiment questions
Replies: 323   Last Post: Jul 25, 2009 6:28 PM

John Doe

Re: michelson morley experiment questions

<kenseto@erinet.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 2, 6:07 am, "Peter Webb" <webbfam...@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au>
> wrote:

>> "Aetherist" <TheAether...@best.net> wrote in message

>> > On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:23:50 -0700, "Spirit of Truth"
>> > <junehar...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>> > {snip...}

>> > You got to understand, for diehard relativists perception IS
>> > reality.

>> Well, if by perception you mean what we see experimentally, yes.
>>
>> You are quite free to impose your concept of simultaneity and absolute
>> time
>> and space on the Universe; you can define a privileged frame of reference
>> and measure simultaneity etc from within that frame. You can even call it
>> the ether, if you want.
>>
>> But what you also have to accept is that the frame you have chosen is
>> completely arbitrary, and anybody else can pick a different inertial
>> frame
>> to treat as absolute. The details of which frame or reference you choose
>> has
>> absolutely no bearing on the outcome of physical experiments, and your
>> absolute time and space plays no role in any physical experiment.

> Th eproblem with your claim is that the clock second we use to measure
> time has different duration in different inertial frames.

In every inertial frame, a clock second for a clock at rest in that frame is
the same clock second.

Noone in any inertial frame sees their own at-rest clock ticking slower than
any other observer sees their own at-rest-clock ticking.

Of course, SR further says in every inertial frame, the observer will see
clocks in motion as running slower than they do when at rest.

> That means
> that the outcome of physical experiments in different frames cannot be
> compared directly.

An observer in some frame S watching an experiment while it is being
performed in a different frame S' will see different results to the observer
in S' will see. But both the observer in S and the observer in S' will see
the same results when the experiment is performed at rest in their own
frames.

> For example a traveling clock second in the twin
> scenario cannot be compared directly with a stay at home clock second.

Yes it can .. look at the clocks.

> Why? Because SR claims that the passage of a traveling clock second
> corresponds to the passage of less than a clock second on the stay at
> home clock.

Actually, you have it backwards. The travelling clock second corresponds to
more than a stay-at-home clock second.

Regardless when you compare the clocks when they return, you can see the
difference in elapsed time.

I'm not sure what the point is you were trying to make.. but I don't think
you succeeded in making it.

Date Subject Author
6/26/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Koobee Wublee
6/26/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Dono
6/26/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Sam Wormley
6/26/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Peter Webb
6/26/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Koobee Wublee
6/26/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Peter Webb
6/27/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Koobee Wublee
6/27/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
6/27/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Guest
6/27/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Guest
6/27/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
6/27/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
MeAmI.org
6/27/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
MeAmI.org
6/28/09
[...]
6/29/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Koobee Wublee
6/29/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Peter Webb
6/29/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Koobee Wublee
6/30/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Peter Webb
6/30/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Little P
7/1/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Eric Gisse
6/29/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Eric Gisse
7/3/09
[...]
7/4/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/4/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Sam Wormley
7/4/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/4/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Little P
7/4/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/4/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Little P
7/5/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/5/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Little P
7/5/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
MeAmI.org
7/5/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/5/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Mike
7/5/09
[...]
7/7/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/7/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Sam Wormley
7/7/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Simple Simon
7/8/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/8/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/8/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Peter Webb
7/9/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/9/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Sam Wormley
7/9/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
bsr3997@my-deja.com
7/9/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Sam Wormley
7/10/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/10/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
maros174
7/10/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Sam Wormley
7/11/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/11/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
June R Harton
7/12/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Sam Wormley
7/14/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment - pearls
June R Harton
7/14/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment - pearls
John Doe
7/15/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment - pearls
June R Harton
7/15/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment - pearls
John Doe
7/15/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment - pearls
June R Harton
7/15/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment - pearls
John Doe
7/15/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment - pearls
June R Harton
7/16/09
[...]
7/13/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Haikke
7/13/09
[...]
Tom Roberts
7/15/09
[...]
7/25/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
scriber77@yahoo.com
7/15/09
[...]
Ahmed Ouahi, Architect
7/15/09
[...]
Paul Stowe
7/1/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
The Sorcerer
7/1/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Paul Stowe
7/1/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
The Sorcerer
7/1/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
MeAmI.org
7/2/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Peter Webb
7/2/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
Ken Seto
7/2/09
[...]
Constructive Truth
7/25/09
[...]
7/17/09
Read Re: michelson morley experiment questions
glbrad01
7/17/09
[...]
NoEinstein
7/1/09