The Math Forum

Topic: Notes on Structure & Method Book 1
Replies: 12   Last Post: Jul 3, 2009 5:53 PM

Kirby Urner

Re: Notes on Structure & Method Book 1

> As of two years ago, I was able to borrrow the copy
> from Central Connecticut State University. May I
> suggest that you use interlibrary loan.

Yeah, really, not even suggesting a PDF, yet as MPG points
out, weighs in at 500 pages, so definitely in the "door stop"
category (going by physics of ordinary door).

I'd request that all math teachers pursuing these 1970s
type curricula properly label the "bottle" as Analog Math,
i.e. something of interest in the late 1900s and still
peddled by numerous NCTMers, always looking for more
clueless newbies to sucker for the same pablum.

In our neck of the woods, Digital Math has eclipsed said
Analog Math, i.e. the latter is "deprecated" in the sense
of "no longer taken seriously." Like I hope you don't
show up for class next year thinking it'll be about
calculators again. Not in Portland it won't be. YMMV.

Kirby