The Math Forum

Topic: PI
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 27, 2009 1:38 PM

kirby urner

Re: PI

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> Many of you have probably already seen this...
>
> http://pi.ytmnd.com/
>
> My son is having a lot of fun (and frustration) trying to keep up with this song. My interest in it isn't so much the memorization (though you can't escape that) but the fluency with patterns of digits, the short sequences or 2, 3 or 4 digits within the whole sequence. It also helps reenforce that "10" isn't the "digit" after nine. Neither of us will be able to breath and sing this continuously though.:)

Yes this is a somewhat hypnotic song and Pi should feel lucky to have
the attention of such talented vocalists and composers. To whomever
is behind this, hats off to ya (Quakers do doff their hats, just like
to do so willingly, not just cuzza whatever naked emperor makes his
thugs demand it...).

Happy Thanksgiving (the day after).

I'm in the Pacific Northwest region enjoying a sunny day.

I've discovered the WikiEducator group is very committed to liberal
ideals of free and open, i.e. the teachers putting their content out
on this forum are relinquishing copyrights to some extent. However,
to be in a position to do this implies having the rights in the first
place to do so, so as a teacher and source, one gets some authority
just for getting it out there as original work in a copyable way.

The current design is to invent a taxonomy for linking digital math
topics, much as a theme park sets up thematic areas (e.g. Disney's
EPCOT has Tomorrowland opposite side of the lake from yesteryear's
nation-state sovereignties -- a supranational view, with Spaceship
Earth at its center).

The other feature is propagation by faculty networking i.e. one exerts
rights of authorship to showcase mastery of Web 2.0 tools, develop a
portfolio, demonstrate proficiency, creative potential or whatever.
In other words, if you're a math teacher, you have an opportunity to
make a name for yourself by authoring lesson plans, contributing
resources, to a shared curriculum framework.

Notice that I'm not proposing some national standards or even state
standards, although it would be easy to align with these on many
levels. I'm discussing a framework for getting teachers on board with
a digital math track through the high school years, extensible in
college, which covers an assortment of discrete math topics,
including: spatial geometry (polyhedra as graphs, includes trig);
statistics (includes the chaos stuff, fractals); set theoretic and
alpha-numeric (at least a dab of SQL); historical perspective
(ethno-mathematics, time dimension).

This is not just a lot of fluff. The algebra does a lot more with
abstract algebra concepts in the context of introducing "math objects"
in an extensible type system. By "type system" I mean something
expressed formally enough to permit machine execution i.e. we're using
(mostly open source) logic running on chips, consider programming
languages legitimate math notations that happen to be runnable
(executable).

This is also mostly familiar territory, except some of the spatial
stuff, even though there's little trace of the Alg, Geom, Alg2, Calc
sequence of analog math. The reasons for this are mostly political in
that those with Web 2.0 skills tend to be computer science based, more
ducks to water in the digital realm. Lobbying in favor of including
more computer work in high school conducted by Silicon Forest entities
(e.g. ONAMI, TechStart/SAO etc.) were about getting Oregon in the mood
to pioneer some new content. August 7 was one of our launch dates,
looking ahead to next year (I shared more details back closer to that
date, using my alumni.princeton moniker).

Back to Pi: we-the-gnu-math-teachers also put a lot of emphasis on
Phi. We get to phi through the Fibonacci Sequence, as the ratio of
the pentagon's diagonal to edge, as the golden mean in the golden
cuboid (brick shape) etc. Which reminds me, I need to phone David
Koski today (his dissection of the golden cuboid into K-modules form a
bridge to the T-modules, same volume as A,B-modules (linking to a
long-running thread (T,A,B modules are tetrahedral slivers of
different shape but all with a volume of 1/24 in this system of
volumetric accounting)).

Thanks again for the link to that musical rendition, appreciated. I
had visited but not for a long time and I'd just been proposing on
this list in another thread with Jonathan Groves that music and "pure
math" keep pace, as a rule of thumb.** Here's a perfect example!

Kirby

** http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=6910745&tstart=0

- --
>>> from mars import math