The Math Forum

Topic: Another AC anomaly?
Replies: 43   Last Post: Dec 21, 2009 8:08 AM

Jesse F. Hughes

Re: Another AC anomaly?

Ilmari Karonen <usenet2@vyznev.invalid> writes:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to sci.math.]
> On 2009-12-14, Jesse F. Hughes <jesse@phiwumbda.org> wrote:

>> "Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse@phiwumbda.org> writes:
>>>
>>> But the standard topology on N is the discrete topology, too! Thus,
>>> the standard definition of sequence convergence on N is inherited via
>>> the subspace topology from Set. That is, a sequence
>>> {a_n | n in N} c N converges (in N) to m iff
>>>
>>> (E k)(A j > k) a_j = m.
>>>
>>> This is (unless I'm just butt-wrong) the same as the definition of
>>> sequence convergence on Set restricted to the subspace N.

>> Yeah, well, I am just butt-wrong, ain't I?

> Well, not really. That's not the same as the definition of general
> set convergence, but I do believe the two definitions are equivalent
> for sequences of natural numbers, at least under any of the usual
> set-theoretic constructions of the naturals.
>
> In particular, under the standard construction of the naturals, where
> 0 = {} and n+1 = n union {n}, I believe the two definitions of lim sup
> and lim inf also match: this is due to the fact that, for the natural
> numbers m and n under this construction, m is a subset of n if and
> only if m <= n.

Oh. Okay, but if I'm right, it was only coincidence. So, perhaps I
was butt-right.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"We need to counter the shockwave of the evildoer by having individual

Date Subject Author
12/12/09
Read Re: Another AC anomaly?
Jesse F. Hughes