The Math Forum

Topic: Another AC anomaly?
Replies: 43   Last Post: Dec 21, 2009 8:08 AM

K_h

Re: Another AC anomaly?

"Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Winter@cwi.nl> wrote in message
> In article <SqSdnSUF1q8FobbWnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@giganews.com>
> "K_h" <KHolmes@SX729.com> writes:

> > With the second option
> > we
> > can restrict ourselves just to the wikipedia definitions
> > and
> > define the sets n by:
> >
> > n = 0 = {}
> > n = 1 = {{}}
> > n = 2 = {{{}}}
> >
> > Wikipedia gives liminf(n-->oo) n = 0.

> Only when we use the definition of limit on sequences of
> sets, not when we
> use the definition of limit on sequences of numbers. You
> have to distinguish
> the two and clearly state which one you are using.

In ZF set theory numbers are defined by sets and in this
case there is no difference:

0 = {}
1 = {{}}
2 = {{{}}}

If the natural numbers are defined by these sets then
liminf(n-->oo)n=0. But yes, on the real number line, the
"naturals" are still defined by sets but limits on real
numbers are not defined by limits on their associated sets.

Date Subject Author
12/12/09
Read Re: Another AC anomaly?
Jesse F. Hughes