The Math Forum

Topic: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Replies: 164   Last Post: Mar 12, 2010 2:43 AM

James Hogg

Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science

Chuck Riggs wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 09:18:30 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
> <grammatim@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 26, 10:04 am, Yusuf B Gursey <y...@theworld.com> wrote:

>>> I don't have any idea what Joyce had in mind, but I know that
>>> quark is a type of cheese in German.-

>> Everyone knows that. But it has nothing to do with the name of the
>> subatomic particle, unless Joyce was referencing it in that
>> passage.

> It was the other way around. Quarks were named after one of the many
> unusual words in Finnegans Wake.

Here's what the coiner himself wrote to the OED:

"Compare the following account given by Gell-Mann in a private letter of
27 June 1978 to the Editor of the Supplement to the O.E.D.: 'I employed
the sound "quork" for several weeks in 1963 before noticing "quark" in
"Finnegans Wake", which I had perused from time to time since it
appeared in 1939... The allusion to three quarks seemed perfect... I
needed an excuse for retaining the pronunciation quork despite the
occurrence of "Mark", "bark", "mark", and so forth in Finnegans Wake. I
found that excuse by supposing that one ingredient of the line "Three
quarks for Muster Mark" was a cry of "Three quarts for Mister..." heard
in H. C. Earwicker's pub.'"

--
James

Date Subject Author
12/24/09
Read Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Andrew Usher
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Don Phillipson
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Jim Deutch
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
António Marques
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jjs
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Hecman Gun
nuny@bid.ness
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Don Phillipson
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Uncle Al
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
bert
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
James Hogg
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ioannis
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ioannis
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter Moylan
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ruud Harmsen
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
DKleinecke
1/13/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Richard Herring
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Greg Neill
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
António Marques
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
DKleinecke
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Adam Funk
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Adam Funk
3/12/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/31/09
[...]
mahipal7638@gmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
1/2/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
mahipal7638@gmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Dumbledore_
12/25/09
[...]
Charles Riggs
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ian Dalziel
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
James Hogg
12/28/09
Read quark(s) (was: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science)
Adam Funk
1/1/10
Read Re: quark(s) (was: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science)
jimbotuk2000
1/2/10
Read Re: quark(s)
Adam Funk
1/2/10
Read Re: quark(s)
mahipal7638@gmail.com
1/3/10
Read Re: quark(s)
Adam Funk
1/3/10
Read Re: quark(s)
David DeLaney
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Brian M. Scott
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Brian M. Scott
12/31/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/31/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Robert Bannister
1/1/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
1/1/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Cheryl
1/2/10
[...]
Read Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/2/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Immortalist
1/10/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Silverton
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Silverton
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Hogg
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Pat Durkin
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Pat Durkin
1/10/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Peter T. Daniels
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Brian M. Scott
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Peter T. Daniels
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Brian M. Scott
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Jerry Friedman
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZZBunker
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZerkonXXXX
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Robert Bannister
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZZBunker
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Dennis
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
OwlHoot
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/30/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Immortalist
3/11/10
Read Re: What the FUCK does this have to see with mathematics, ASSHOLE
adamk