The Math Forum

Topic: "dot notation" on a math track?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jan 12, 2010 5:24 PM

kirby urner

Re: "dot notation" on a math track?

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Steve Cooke <smcjunk@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I'd move straight to Church's lambda notation. I'm only half joking.

You could do that, and I used to argue with Herman on sci.math about
whether we should do that. Alonso Church.

> It is more universal in the computing world than "dot notation" syntax and it is solidly in both the CS and math worlds.  CS equations behave more like math equations.  Imperative computer languages will say "x = x + 1" but does that ever make sense?

"Computing world" is not defined, so you would have to be right in
your own private language I suppose.

However, Javascript is pretty ubiquitous and seems well positioned to
stick around. HTML5 is coming along nicely. There's more dot
notation for ya. Smalltalk gets the blame (in a good way).

Yes, we should teach about these different paradigms, without
digressing for too long. I'm pretty adamant about NOT just looking at
one computer language, even if we concentrate on one more than the
other.

There's this language called J, a descendant from APL, that I often
toss in there as my "evil twin" for Python. It's hardly a dot
notation, though it is (unlike APL) a part of ASCII. I'm really not a
master of J by any stretch of the imagination. Python I'm comfortable
with, like a math teacher might be, without spending hours a day
writing reams of code (I do have reams of free code at my website that
I wrote, so it's pretty easy to assess that it's accessible, though
most of it isn't in 3.x yet).

So is APL part of the unicode standard then? Let's go see...

OK, a bit of a hodgepodge, but I suppose I'm seeing most of 'em:

http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2300.pdf

Just saw something about APL .NET at Microsoft.

Any math teacher wants to update me, you know where to find me.

Kirby

- --
>>> from mars import math
http://www.wikieducator.org/Digital_Math