Topic: Slightly OT : I hate math
Replies: 18   Last Post: Feb 6, 2010 11:52 PM

Jared

Re: Slightly OT : I hate math

On Feb 4, 1:29 am, junoexpress <mtbrenne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At social gatherings when people ask what you do, if you say
> mathematics, they'll often respond that they hate math or were
> terrible at in school, etc. Kind of a rude response I think, as I
> wouldn't come out and so openly diss someone's profession like that.
> And somewhat of a humorous response, since few people would think to
> confess that they were bad at English or could barely read or put
> together a coherent sentence, and yet they so gleefully volunteer that
> they are bad at math. I'm curious how people who do math respond to
> those types of comments.

It's possible to have more aptitude for math than 90% of the college
population, and still not have enjoyed math classes.

So your assumption that someone who "hates math" is the equivalent of
someone who can "barely read" is ill-founded.