Topic: Slightly OT : I hate math
Replies: 18   Last Post: Feb 6, 2010 11:52 PM

Michael Press

Re: Slightly OT : I hate math

In article <MPG.25d58229b4d3f70c989898@news.cc.tut.fi>,
Kaba <none@here.com> wrote:

> Ken Pledger wrote:
> > As for the social situations, I doubt if it's possible to give a
> > serious answer in a short time. My standard ploy is to grin and say,
> > "Well, if everyone was good at it then I'd be out of a job." That's not
> > true, of course, but it rescues people from feeling threatened (or
> > disliking me).

> Hmm.. What do you people think, are people threatened when you say to
> them that you are a researcher or a mathematician?
>
> I am a relatively new doctoral student and I personally could never have
> imagined that to be the case. To me being a student reflects my interest
> over things, not some educational merit. However, I sometimes wonder how
> people actually feel about that.
>
> For example, when I started a grant on my doctoral studies last year, a
> group of my friends started calling me a "doctor" everytime they
> addressed me on freetime. I didn't find it funny at all, but I handled
> it for some time as a bad joke. This continued for some time and didn't
> look like it was going to stop, despite the discreet hints I gave that I
> disliked it. Well, one day I finally got enough and told them to quit
> doing that for real. They did. But I still wonder the actual motivation
> to do that: you don't tell a bad joke multiple times, especially if the
> target doesn't find it funny. Could their motivation been that they felt
> threatened? Maybe..

Outside of technical circles, and since boyhood
peers would spontaneously start calling me
"doctor" or "professor." Since I did not put on
airs and respected them, I took it as a sign of
mutual respect.

--
Michael Press