Topic: RE: Wired Campus Article: "Professor Textblaster"
Replies: 6   Last Post: Mar 5, 2010 5:47 PM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: RE: Wired Campus Article: "Professor Textblaster"

Robert Hansen wrote:

> Dave, you wouldn't happen to have any of those quizzes
> or exams that you could post do you?

I've attached a few to this Math Forum post. However,
because I haven't had other people (who have the appropriate
software) convert my less interesting (read: lower level
intermediate algebra, trig, etc.) items to .pdf form, what
I'm posting is not really representative of my quizzes
and tests as a whole (no trig. stuff, no college algebra
stuff, no intermediate algebra stuff, almost no precalculus
stuff, ...).

Some of the .pdf file versions have strange page breaks
and possibly other formatting issues that were not present
in the original versions. For instance, one of the ways
I manage to squeeze an extra 3 or 4 lines of type onto
a page, such as when I want to complete the statement of
a comment or fit a graph on the page I want it on (besides
using negative vertical space LaTeX code in certain locations)
is to set the page style default to A4 paper, and then
insert page breaks before the stuff goes too low on the
page (which previewing shows), and I haven't been worrying
about this when I've sent some of my files to others to
convert them to .pdf format.

Here's an overview of the items I'm posting.

"bus cal exam" -- Final Exam for a business calculus class.
(A 1-semester course that introduces basic calculus ideas;
no trig. but does use exponential and logarithmic functions.)
After printing out a copy of the test, but before I photocopied
and stapled copies for students, I hand-labeled some points
in the graph for #8. Also, for some reason, the blank graph
I had set up for #9 didn't come out. Finally, the extra credit
problems were an optional topic I intended to cover but didn't
get to, so I gave a reading assignment and some homework
problems for students to work on and said the material would
be extra credit on the exam.

"bus cal test 4" and "bus cal quiz 15" -- Note the resemblance
of the quiz problems to a certain problem on the exam and a
certain problem on test 4.

"diff eq quiz 3" and "diff eq quiz 4" -- These are solutions,
but the original quiz was the same as what you see except the
problems were not written in italicized form and in place of
the solutions was blank space for the students to write in
(and the title/header didn't have "solutions" in it).

"lin alg quiz 3", "lin alg quiz 4", and "lin alg quiz 6" -- Note
the extra credit hint in a footnote in quiz 6. Several students
said they wouldn't have gotten the extra credit problem if I
had not included the footnote, but with the hint they learned
an almost unforgettable way of getting those pesky addition
angle trig. identities. (One of the students who got the EC
but didn't know the identities was a then first semester
Freshman who is now working on his Ph.D. in math at Iowa
State Univ.) Incidentally, we hadn't yet talked about rotations
in the plane yet when I gave quiz 6. The extra credit served
as "an opener" for rotations, which I went over after the
quiz (which was given at the beginning of the class, not
the end). Note the rotation problem on test 2, which was
given about a week later.

"lin alg test 2" and "lin alg test 4" -- test 4 was a take-home
test.

"LSMSA precal test 4" -- This was for a very strong (even
by LSMSA standards) precalculus class I taught in Fall 1998.
Probably half the class zoomed through the non-extra credit
material missing little (besides occasionally overlooking
some detail or other), hence the stiff extra credit. I still
had maybe 3 students (out of 12 or 13 total) get EC A
(one got it completely correct and I believe a couple of
others overlooked something but "mostly got it") and
2 or 3 students get the first two parts of EC B.

"LSMSA multi test 4a" and "LSMSA multi test 4b" -- These
are a take home test for a third semester calculus course
(of which the first third dealt with sequences, series,
and Taylor series applications) that typically only the
very strongest (and most interested) students at the
school took. Version 'b' is a couple of years after
Version 'a'. Neither version would be appropriate
for a college course, except maybe for a very strong
honors class.

Dave L. Renfro