Topic: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Replies: 20   Last Post: Mar 10, 2010 6:47 PM

J. Antonio Perez M.

Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)

On Mar 9, 2:01 pm, Gerry <ge...@math.mq.edu.au> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 4:31 pm, Bart Goddard <goddar...@netscape.net> wrote:
>

> > Obispo de Tolosa <MathMan...@hotmail.com> wrote innews:1046383277.347140.1268110066496.JavaMail.root@gallium.mathforum.org:
>
> > > Granville is obviously the greatest living mathematician, and perhaps
> > > the only one.

> > > The late Dr. Schramm was great precisely because he did NOT receive a
> > > Fields medal.

> > Cool!  I never got one either!
>
> I was rooting for you, Bart. I couldn't believe they gave it
> to that Wiles guy instead.
> --
> GM

They actually didn't give it to Wiles: he only got to receive a
special IMU silver plaque in 1998, because at the time the proof was
finally presented with corrections and stuff, in 1994, he was over 40
years old, which is the stupid and ridiculous age limit Fields Medal
have and is why, in true comparison, the Fields Medal doesn't hold a
candle to the Noble Prizes.

We really need a mathematics prize comparable to the Nobel Prize in
importance and projection: the Fields Medal is ONLY for a particular
achievment AND under the age of 40, and not for mathematical
importance/transcendence, which should be, imo, without any age
restriction.
Perhaps the closest one is the Wolf Prize, but still far behind the
importance of a Nobel, comparatively.

Tonio

Date Subject Author
3/5/10
Read Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
riderofgiraffes
3/5/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Larry Hammick
3/6/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
master1729
3/5/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
G. A. Edgar
3/8/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Obispo de Tolosa
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
gerry@math.mq.edu.au
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Gerry Myerson
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Ioannis
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Omega Cubed
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
anonymous.rubbertube@yahoo.com
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Gerry Myerson
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Frederick Williams
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
omega