Topic: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Replies: 20   Last Post: Mar 10, 2010 6:47 PM

anonymous.rubbertube@yahoo.com

Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)

On Mar 9, 9:01 am, Tonico <Tonic...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2:01 pm, Gerry <ge...@math.mq.edu.au> wrote:

> > > Cool!  I never got one either!
>
> > I was rooting for you, Bart. I couldn't believe they gave it
> > to that Wiles guy instead.
> > --
> > GM

> They actually didn't give it to Wiles: he only got to receive a
> special IMU silver plaque in 1998, because at the time the proof was
> finally presented with corrections and stuff, in 1994, he was over 40
> years old, which is the stupid and ridiculous age limit Fields Medal
> have and is why, in true comparison, the Fields Medal doesn't hold a
> candle to the Noble Prizes.
>
> We really need a mathematics prize comparable to the Nobel Prize in
> importance and projection: the Fields Medal is ONLY for a particular
> achievment AND under the age of 40, and not for mathematical
> importance/transcendence, which should be, imo, without any age
> restriction.
> Perhaps the closest one is the Wolf Prize, but still far behind the
> importance of a Nobel, comparatively.
>
> Tonio

How about the Abel Prize?

Date Subject Author
3/5/10
Read Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
riderofgiraffes
3/5/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Larry Hammick
3/6/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
master1729
3/5/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
G. A. Edgar
3/8/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Obispo de Tolosa
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
gerry@math.mq.edu.au
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Gerry Myerson
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Ioannis
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Bart Goddard
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Omega Cubed
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
anonymous.rubbertube@yahoo.com
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Gerry Myerson
3/9/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
Frederick Williams
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
3/10/10
Read Re: Top 10 living mathematicians (or recently living)
omega