Topic: FW: Inclusive and exclusive definitions... again!
Replies: 4   Last Post: Nov 5, 2010 2:56 PM

"Mary"

Re: Inclusive and exclusive definitions... again!

And thank you, Allan, for realizing that my post was well-meant.

In my recollection, the ears really do look like animal ears, rather like
donkey ears, and that is what child psychologists called them. Have you seen
them? I think they showed when a child (perhaps about two?) was too young to
have been exposed to any shape discussions. Still, one asked the child to
copy a drawing; I doubt that it was ever spontaneous. I do not know whether
the tendency was much investigated, whether the orientation of the figure
could be changed for a similar result, how sharp the angle had to be, what
other developmental signposts it correlated to, etc. Worth looking into?
Maybe.

The holly is something I've neither heard of nor seen, except in myself.
Like you, though, I'm well aware of mirror imaging, have seen many examples
of entire names and of indivdual letters and numerals. Lower-case b-d
confusion is ubiquitous and notorious. Old and childish, I notice that I am
increasingly unsure of left-right, especially when something is upside-down.
An example is table setting. At least experience has taught me to be wary,
think carefully. I've had no experience with observance of paper-folding,
believe I'm in the 90-95% group.

You're certainly right about square-rectangle distinction being a non-issue
for most people. I find the spatial approach fascinating, surely productive.
I've just made models of a triangular dipyramid and a rhombohedron (hope I
have the names right), intend to make more and play with them.

A possibly illustrative aside: I attended a workshop where students were
developing and testing alternative, green life-styles. A couple were working
on a complicated mechanism for powering a sewing machine with a stationary
bicycle. They were unaware of the original treadle Singer I learned to use
as a girl. My ingenious electrical-engineer father eventually rigged up my
mother's machine to run on electricity! Even interest in Dutch-style
windmills is returning, along with the most advanced new designs.

And thank you for posting to the Math Forum, too.

Mary