The Math Forum

Topic: An Open Letter to Arne Duncan
Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 25, 2010 8:56 PM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: An Open Letter to Arne Duncan

Quoting Kirby Urner <urner@alumni.princeton.edu>:

> Also to GWB's credit, he tried his best to stage a
> 'Mission Accomplished' event that might, in a parallel
> universe, have signaled it was time to come home. His
> administration had promised a short war, a kind of blitz,
> and this was getting towards the point where now was
> the time to tie it off, were those promises to be kept.
>
> But the "cynics" were all about how he looked like a
> strutting dweeb with a cod piece, plus he'd been like a
> draft dodger re the craziness of Vietnam etc., hiding out
> in the Guard. Strange to hear the political left getting
> into celebrating Vietnam war heroes, making more of Kerry
> in a swift boat than Kerry in a tent on the Mall,
> protesting the same war. How to have it both ways?
>
> If you go back in the archive here, I've always defended
> GWB's not rushing off to Vietnam. Charlie Clemens,
> combat pilot, reached the same decision (to not fly
> combat missions, having seen what was really going down
> under Nixon) only to end up in an Air Force mental
> hospital, whereas George got to be prez.
>
> Clemens eventually got an MD, became a doctor.

All the rest aside, Kirby, a couple of points: GWB looked like an
idiot most of all because the mission clearly was not accomplished.
And it is very difficult to ignore the fact that his party and his
father made a great deal of political hay from the ill-conceived
posting in a tank by GHWB's opponent, Michael Dukakis. Turnabout does
generally prove to be fair play. But in this case, there was a real
war, one phonied up by GWB and his puppet-masters, and his posing on
that ship really looked bad at the time but horrid in retrospect.

As for his dodging Vietnam by hook or crook: face it - if you're a
Republican still fighting Vietnam, still gaining power through fear,
and then sending kids to die for oil, imperialism, revenge, profit for
your masters in the military-industrial complex, etc., and you were in
the military but managed to avoid combat or even a tour in 'Nam (or
had "other priorities" a la Cheney), you look like an enormous
hypocrite, particularly given that strings were pulled by your rich
Poppy to keep your ass out of the jungle.

No one can blame people who actually OPPOSED the war to begin with and
never tried to ride the phony patriotism horse later for avoiding by
any reasonable means getting sent to die in Vietnam (or Iraq, for that
matter). But when you play GOP politics, replete with all the
jingoism, I think you have earned the shite you get for having
weaseled out of combat when it was your turn.

- --
**************************
Michael Paul Goldenberg
6655 Jackson Rd Lot #136
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
734 644-0975 (c)
734 786-8425 (h)
mikegold@umich.edu
rationalmathed.blogspot.com
It was when I found out I could make mistakes that I knew I was on to
something. - Ornette Coleman