Topic: New Post at RME: Who Was George Polya's Intended Audience? (Or More Mathema
Replies: 9   Last Post: Sep 11, 2010 12:49 PM

Martin C. Tangora

Re: New Post at RME: Who Was George Polya's Intended Audience? (Or More Mathema

Both J Groves and M P Goldenberg
seem to be unaware that Polya wrote "How to solve it"
for a general audience, and then wrote
"Mathematics and plausible reasoning" for a much more highly
trained audience. Thus the argument about the intended
audience is just noise because of the failure
to distinguish the two books.

Actually M & PR is two volumes, and there is
a fourth book written after HtSI and before M&PR.

It is too bad that statements like "this claim is false"
and "long overdue and clearly definitive retort"
are posted without adequate knowledge.

--

Martin C. Tangora
tangora (at) uic.edu