Replies: 5   Last Post: Jun 9, 2010 9:19 AM

Doug Kuhlmann

RE: [ap-calculus] History of Calculus

Let me pile on concerning Calculus Gems by George Simmons. I have found this book to be a wonderful resource. Every calculus teacher should have a copy on the shelf.

Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Lucas [mailto:Chris.Lucas@wfbschools.com]
Sent: Tue 6/8/2010 2:46 PM
To: AP Calculus
Subject: Re: [ap-calculus] History of Calculus

"Calculus Gems" by George Simmons is a great biographical resource of many influences in the field, including Leibniz and Newton. I also assign readings about Euler (prior to teaching Euler's method), Riemann (prior to teaching integration), etc. It is organized by genre (early ancients to more modern forerunners of calculus) and also has some special problems ("memorable mathematics") at the end. It's a great resource (and I just checked Amazon---available for a mere $8.23 + $3.99 shipping)!

--------lca

>>> "Marianne" <mveitch@hcps.us> 6/8/2010 7:56 am >>>
Hello all,

I am interested in incorporating more history in my calculus classes next year. Does anyone have a good recommendation for books I can pick up over the summer to prepare? Unfortunately, I was never able to take a History of Mathematics course in college and I only have a few Newton vs. Leibnitz things currently.

Thanks!
====
Doug Kuhlmann
Math Department