Topic: Traditional versus reform
Replies: 34   Last Post: Feb 27, 1999 2:24 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Traditional versus reform

Dear Jerry,

You missed "obviously well-financed" along with KKK, Nazi, McCarthyites. Do I
detect a certain desperate shrillness in this intellectual debate?

For those not of California, Walter Denham was the head of mathematics
education for the California Department of Education and greatly responsible
for the excesses to which we attempted to implement our vision of the NCTM
Standards. When the war got too hot, they put him in a sound-proof room.
Apparently, he was able to get this message smuggled out to Ed Week.

Wayne.

Ed Week, Letters February 17, 1999
http://www.edweek.com/ew/current/23letter.h18

'Math Wars' Are Media Creation
To the Editor:

Your recent article on middle school textbook reviews is disheartening
("Reviews of Math Text Parallel Pedagogy Rifts," Jan. 27, 1999). Once again, a
report gives equal attention to "both sides of the 'math wars,'" rather than
considering how and by whom the reviews were conducted. I had hoped that by now
Education Week would be looking at the merits of different views of learning
and teaching mathematics, rather than continuing to treat any news strictly on
a political basis.

The "math wars" are a media creation that comes from five years of reporting
conflict rather than evidence. The war metaphor may now be apt, but it has
resulted from one-sided attacks by those wanting to prevent change on those who
were making change. Mathematically Correct, a small but obviously well-financed
operation, has been singularly effective in its deliberate, shrewd, brilliantly
executed campaign against the vision of mathematics education that has been,
albeit slowly, achieving widespread understanding and support among teachers of
mathematics education for several decades. But campaign effectiveness should
not be the basis for recognition in Education Week.

Or do I misunderstand the purpose of the publication?

Walter Denham
Sacramento, Calif.

At 05:49 PM 2/22/99 -0600, Jerry Uhl wrote:
>At 4:56 PM -0600 2/22/99, Mark Klespis wrote:
>

>>So, it doesn't matter to me if Bishop is the best spokesperson for the
>>"anti-reformers" or that I (and others) do not agree with what he's saying.
>>We need to face up to the fact that (for whatever reason) people are
>>listening to him, not us.
>>
>>Mark Klespis
>>Sam Houston State University

>Good point Mark! As partial beginning to an answerto your question, I offer
>the following:
>
>I think it's important to realize the Mathematically Correct (with Wayne
>Bishop at the point) is not an educational movement. It is a political
>movement. Like many political movements, it builds fear in hearts of
>decent folk (in this case parents who want the best for their kids). Then
>it feeds itself off these fears. And finally begins to establish political
>power as it has done in California.
>
>We've seen this many times in America and elsewhere:
> eg KKK--built fear of African Americans and then fed off this
> Nazis ---built fear of Jews and then fed off this
> McCarthy--built fear of communists and then fed off this
>

>-Jerry Uhl

>Jerry Uhl juhl@ncsa.uiuc.edu
>Professor of Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>Member, Mathematical Sciences Education Board of National Research Council
>
>Calculus&Mathematica, DiffEq&Mathematica, Matrices,Geometry&Mathematica,
>NetMath
>
>http://www-cm.math.uiuc.edu and http://netmath.math.uiuc.edu
>
>"Is it life, I ask, is it even prudence,
>To bore thyself and bore the students?"
>
>. . . Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Date Subject Author
2/16/99