Topic: Traditional versus reform
Replies: 34   Last Post: Feb 27, 1999 2:24 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Traditional versus reform

Dear Jerry,

If this posting was an apology for identifying Mathematically Correct with the
KKK, Nazis, and McCarthy (specifically your message of 2-22-99):

"KKK--built fear of African Americans and then fed off this
Nazis ---built fear of Jews and then fed off this
McCarthy--built fear of communists and then fed off this",

I will do something that I have never before done and pretend to speak for
Mathematically Correct.

On behalf of Mathematically Correct, your apology is humbly accepted.

Wayne.

At 09:25 PM 2/24/99 -0600, Jerry Uhl wrote:
>My post about Mathematically Correct as a political movement has caused
>quite a bit of fallout. I am grateful for it because now I know more about
>Mathematically Correct than I had before the post. And the news is
>encouraging.
>
>One mathematician (with Mathematically Correct connections) whose views I
>always respect (but don't always agree with) sent me an email telling me:
>
>" Wayne Bishop is not "at the point" whatever that means.....
>The reaction to the books adopted in California after their 1992 Frameworks
>were adopted came from parents, including Paul Clopton and Mike
>McKeown..... They much more than Bishop are at the center of
>Mathematically Correct. "
>
>I found this very helpful and I replied:
>
>"Thanks for this. It certainly gives me a better perspective .
>
>I (and many others out there on the internet) had the impression that Wayne
>Bishop was the defining entity at Mathematically Correct. He certainly is
>the most visible member of the group. I have always wondered why the
>respectable folks at Mathematically Correct seemed willing to let Bishop do
>their dirty work for them.
>
>Now I see I was wrong about Mathematically Correct. But the Wayne Bishop
>image is still out there and when many folks hear the term Mathematically
>Correct, they think of Bishop and his insulting gutter politics.
>
>I have to advise you and others at Mathematically Correct to place some
>distance between yourselves and Bishop."
>
>-Jerry
>Jerry Uhl juhl@ncsa.uiuc.edu
>Professor of Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>Member, Mathematical Sciences Education Board of National Research Council
>
>Calculus&Mathematica, DiffEq&Mathematica, Matrices,Geometry&Mathematica,
>NetMath
>
>http://www-cm.math.uiuc.edu and http://netmath.math.uiuc.edu
>
>"Is it life, I ask, is it even prudence,
>To bore thyself and bore the students?"
>
>. . . Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Date Subject Author
2/16/99