The Math Forum

Topic: Re: What Is Mathematics For?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 29, 2010 6:20 PM

kirby urner

Re: What Is Mathematics For?
att1.html (2.7 K)

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> I might also add that our engineering ecosystem is not in the best of shape
> because we have lost so much manufacturing and the applied engineering that
> goes with those production lines. First it was just the labor side of
> manufacturing but now it is also the engineering side as well. Many of those
> graduates might have gotten a job if that ecosystem was still in place. As
> an engineer I find it a bit sad because I think that middle layer is what
> fed the mid (last) century growth in technology and engineering. And I don't
> mean growth in dollars, I mean growth in people. Now it is in dollars.

Engineering is always morphing and today includes such as Bioinformatics, a
branch of computer science in some taxonomies.

Sharing the knowledge of how to design shoes, goes with the territory, after
the shoes have been made, i.e. an apprentice engages in the assembly of
product then begins to master design, possibly to inherit the entire process
(the meaning of "to apprentice" in a classic guild context).

In other words, it stands to reason that a company like Nike would have
these layers, with the more central ones being design and marketing. But
then what kind of shoes are we talking about? I bring up Nike because of
its headquarters in Oregon, but the art of shoe making is widespread and
takes on different guises (not everyone is in the market for high end
somewhat spendy sports ware).

We also have Intel here.

If you're working at Intel and fly to Ho Chi Minh City to check on
something, then to Cavite before returning to Hillsboro, it's not like "jobs
have been lost". These global companies have been somewhat expat for over a
generation already as a result of USG's post-WW2 agenda to encourage
capitalism.

With the advent of telecommuting, we could have many more Americans working
for companies with headquarters elsewhere, perhaps in the context of work /
study opportunities mediated by universities and their student exchange
programs. Market some brand of Swiss chocolate while coding fund accounting
software for an ice cream factory in Havana, all without leaving your home
base campus dorm in Berkeley or Seattle, accruing credits towards your
degree in social networking media (aka "communications").

Kirby