Topic: Mathematician
Replies: 28   Last Post: Oct 15, 2010 8:47 AM

kirby urner

Re: Mathematician

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Wayne Bishop
<wbishop@exchange.calstatela.edu> wrote:
> One of my pet peeves...  Taught what at the graduate level?

Why get peevish about an acronym? They're everywhere, including in math.

This list goes on for 50 pages, starting with a smattering of symbols
"before the letter A":

http://www.abbreviations.com/acronyms/MATH/1

The inadvertent link the "stem cells" might actually be fortuitous.

The public's comprehension of STEM is at the embryonic level?

Why not accept that the species as a whole is still in its infancy.

We don't have all the answers, and, looking back, there was never a
time when we did.

Scoffing at the present ain't hard to do.

How about: Technology, Engineering, Civics and History (TECH)

Or how about: Science, Math, Art and Technology (SMART)

Anyway, given computer science and medical science are both sciences,
I don't see where STEM is missing either.

Kirby