Topic: Mathematics, the makeover
Replies: 5   Last Post: Oct 8, 2010 10:12 AM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Mathematics, the makeover

Dear All,

I thank Jerry for sharing this story with us about Danica McKellar.
The paper in the Journal of Physics that she co-authored with
L. Chayes and B. Winn can be found at the link

http://www.danicamckellar.com/math/percolation.pdf.

We definitely do not see many math majors or others who have
worked as mathematicians at least for some time who also lead lives
as actors or actresses.

It is not clear from what I have checked out on the Internet if
she still works in mathematical research or not. It does not
appear so, but I cannot say for sure. Even if she is not
working at mathematical research now, it is definitely not
clear as to whether she will return or whether she will
pursue more advanced degrees in mathematics.

Here is an NPR broadcast with her talking with Scott Simon and
Keith Devlin:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5201825.

This story is enjoyable, and she is to be commended for trying
to improve math's highly negative image, especially among
young girls. Since I have not seen her books, I cannot say
anything about their quality.

Jonathan Groves