Topic: Mathematician
Replies: 28   Last Post: Oct 15, 2010 8:47 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Mathematician

Bishop, Wayne posted Oct 7, 2010 9:16 PM (GSC's comments follow):
> I should have pointed out in my response to Michael
> that Dr. Stage
> has done more to destroy solid science education in
> California than
> any other single person and her efforts toward
> mathematics education
> are entirely consistent with that achievement. In no
> small part
> because of her "inquiry-based" science instruction
> instead of honest
> science instruction managed to keep his foot in the
> door in the late
> 90s and early 2000's as part of official state
> mandate in spite of
> its demonstrated failure and complete removal
> (officially, that is)
> of that crap from mathematics. As Haim just pointed
> out, this vain
> effort to successfully educate ALL (caps original)
> students in
> science (as in mathematics) only ensures that those
> students with
> real aptitude and interest are denied the opportunity
> for an honest
> exposure to the real stuff in their school
> experience. If they
> succeed, and some do, is in spite of their approved
> school
> experience. Behind the scenes by good teachers is
> one way), simple
> personal dedication is another, but it is almost
> certain science and
> mathematics education death to high potential
> students from low
> socioeconomic communities with a low priority on
> upward mobility
> through genuine education (i.e., more than just
> failing to drop out,
> the standard industry goal).
>
> Wayne

Dr Bishop's charge(s) above-noted against Dr Stage may or may not hold water in toto. Currently these are his opinions, which we accept as his opinions that he has every right to hold - as to their validity, I believe some more work needs to be done.

Undoubtedly Dr Stage, if she is shown Dr Bishop's opinion above, would in turn attribute the "(destruction of) solid science education in California" to Dr Bishop and his fellow travelers. That's about as far as this conventional mode of discussion can lead us - each side to an argument trading charges against the other(s): we've seen such happen at any number of threads right here at this very forum.

May I suggest that there are simple practical means to get across or over this kind of impasse at which we land up so very often (almost always!) To begin with, simply choose an appropriate 'Mission', for instance: "To bring about a solid science and math educational system (in California/ USA/ anywhere)".

Step 1:
Ask stakeholders (students; teachers; parents; administrators; scientists & mathematicians; members of the 'Education Mafia'; members of the groups opposing the 'Education Mafia'), an appropriate 'trigger question': "What, in your opinion, are the THINGS TO DO to accomplish the Mission of "bringing about a solid science and math educational system (in California/ USA/ anywhere)?"

Step 2:
Collect ALL the responses received, making no value judgments on the ideas put up and clarify each idea to all involved: no value judgments at this stage, or we shall only get caught up in that endless and fruitless argumentation.

Step 3:
Then 'integrate' all those responses into a model showing how they may "CONTRIBUTE TO" each other and to the Mission. This would take some doing, particularly when there are ideas coming from groups that strongly oppose each other. However, I've found, on doing many such exercises, that it is usually (NOT always) possible to arrive at some kind of consensus - AND that, in quite a few (NOT all) cases, initial disagreements disappear as people come to understand the basis of the thinking of other stakeholders and as they come to understand (effectively; in a usable way) the meaning of "contribution" in their systems under consideration.

I've often discussed practical means by which the above can be done in practice. I attach herewith very brief documentation about the process in general. Much more information can be made available on request (including copies of the software that helps with the needed 'modeling of ideas' that arise during exploration of any complex issue - whether it relates to a complex societal system, such as education or governance; or even an 'individual' system, such as "to teach or learn math more effectively".

GSC