Replies: 8   Last Post: Dec 7, 2013 3:13 AM

frodonet

From: malaysia
Registered: 10/24/10
Re: [Matlab Question] Converting H(s) to H(z) using derivative approximation?

> Your method looks correct for first order derivative
> method.
>
> The methods I know of are:
>
> 1. first order derivative approx: z=1/(1-sT),
> requires very large
> sampling to work ok, good only for low pass filter
> design
>
> 2. higher order derivative approximations from (1).
> Do not know much
> about it.
>
> 3. impulse invariance: z=exp(sT), zeros do not get
> mapped correctly,
> only poles. Aliasing problems.
>
> 4. matched-z: factor H(s) into (s-sz)/(s-sp) form,
> where sz are the
> zeros of the numerator and sp are zeros of the
> denominator (ie. pols of
> H(s), then replace all the (s-sp) by (1-exp(sp*T)
> z^-1) and replace all
> the (s-sz) by (1-exp(sz*T) z^-1) to obtain H(z).
> Requires small T also,
> like (1)
>
> 5. bilinear transformation: z= (1+(T/2)*z) /
> (1-(T/2)*z )
> requires frequency wrapping, but is the best one of
> all, when in doubt
> use. no aliasing.
>
> Now as far is which one is which in Matlab, I just
> had a look at help on
> c2d, and it says:
>
> 'zoh' Zero-order hold on the inputs
> 'foh' Linear interpolation of inputs (triangle
> appx.)
> 'impulse' Impulse-invariant discretization
> 'tustin' Bilinear (Tustin) approximation.
> 'matched' Matched pole-zero method (for SISO
> systems only).
>
> Clearly the last 3 we now know what they are, the
> description is clear.
>
> We just need to figure if zoh or foh are the first
> first order
> derivative or not? I am not sure now without spending
> more time on it.
>
> My guess is that 'foh' is the first order
> approximation. But a Matlab
> expert on these might have a better answer. It could
> be something
> completely different.
>
> You can try your method and compare with Matlab's zoh
> or foh and see
> which gives the same result.
>
> Use 'tustin', it is supposed to be the best method,
> this is the bilinear
> method.
>
> --Nasser

Hi Nasser,

Thanks again very much for your help.

After reading your suggestions and advice, i need to try all the solutions again.

I personally however, think that you are right about the first order approximation which is the foh,

actually we can try on a simple transfer function such as :

1
---------
s + 1

and do a conversion to z transform manually by substituting s = (1 - z^-1 )/ T

and then compare it with the matlab using the sys command u recommended with 'foh'

see whether it gets the same answer..

I will try again and post the results!