Topic: Mathematics as a language
Replies: 35   Last Post: Nov 8, 2010 1:53 AM

herb z

Re: Mathematics as a language

Aatu Koskensilta wrote:
> herbzet writes:
> > Bill Taylor wrote:
> >

> >> Or whether the number 6 really exists. Does it?
> >
> > It *could* exist -- therefore, mathematically, it *does* exist.

> This is a traditional and appealing idea. But just what is meant by
> "could" here? What sort of possibility is involved?

For rhetorical punch, I purposely left out the modifier, which is "logical".

What logically could exist -- that is, what is not inherently self-
contradictory -- has mathematical existence.

(This may be a traditional idea, but I arrived at it during
an exchange of posts with MoeBlee.)

In particular, there appears to be nothing self-contradictory
in the notion of infinite sets -- they could exist, therefore,
mathematically, they do.

--
hz

Date Subject Author
[...]