Topic: MAT file takes forever to save with big object array
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 6, 2012 2:34 PM

Walter Roberson

Re: MAT file takes forever to save with big object array

On 21/12/10 3:34 AM, Alexey wrote:

>> save backtesting/files/technical-obj

> To save this variable, use the -v7.3 switch.

>> save -v7.3 backtesting/files/technical-obj
>
> I do not get an error but it takes about 4 hours to save the file and
> its size is 1.5gb.

> I will have a look at reducing the size of the structure but does anyone
> have any suggestions as to what is the best way to save the results like
> this?

You didn't have to start a new thread; you could just have replied to
the old thread that indeed you were using objects .

As you are using objects, then you need to discuss with the
administrators of the HPC site how to save the file on a drive that is
local to the CPU you are using rather than being on a networked file system.

There has been no information from Mathworks posted on this forum as to
_why_ the -v7.3 format can be as slow as it is, but there have been
enough reports from users that we know that this is a fact of life for
some kinds of data on some systems, at least up to 2010a. (People
haven't happened to discuss it for 2010b.)