Topic: The problem with problem-solving
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 24, 2010 2:42 PM

Alexandre Borovik

Re: The problem with problem-solving

Dear Colleagues,

a few years ago Tony Gardiner and I prepared a sample list of archetypal mathematical problems, very elementary, very natural; these problems are not artificial "brainteasers" (I hate "brainteasers" as pollutants of mathematical education). Have a look at

http://manchester.academia.edu/AlexandreBorovik/Papers/370441/A_dozen_problems

When I hear about generic "problem solving", I wonder: will it help to solve any of these problems? For me it is a basic criterion of efficiency of "problem solving" methods.

Seasons Greetings -- Alexandre Borovik

Professor Alexandre Borovik * http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~avb/
Blog: http://micromath.wordpress.com/