Topic: Common Core Implementation
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jan 15, 2011 1:20 PM

Evan Romer

Re: Common Core Implementation

My feeling on this is that although the May 2012 test will be aligned
to the 2005 standards, we need of think about how to teach some the
CCSS standards during 2011-12. If we don't, it will make the CCSS in
2012-13 very frustrating for students and teachers, because the CCSS
8th grade standards (for example) assume that students know the CCSS
7th grade (and prior) material. It will be too much for 8th graders to
master in one year On the other hand, if we do incorporate CCSS next
year, it will be frustrating for students and teachers because next
year in 7th grade (for example), how do you teach both the 2005
standards and CCSS? Again, too much to cover in one year. So I think
we have to strike a balance. If we don't do it right (I'm thinking
primarily of K-8 here), we'll end up will whole cohorts of students
with gaps in their foundation.

Evan Romer
Susquehanna Valley HS
Conklin NY 13748