Topic: algebra regents 2011
Replies: 27   Last Post: Jun 20, 2011 3:05 PM

bill wickes

RE: algebra regents 2011
att1.html (8.1 K)

So obvious the state looks to trick the kids.make it fair and you will not
need the crazy curve

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org]
On Behalf Of TKENYON@crcs.wnyric.org
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 5:19 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: algebra regents 2011

It doesn't matter which variable is graphed on the independent axis, and I
think most people DID put the cost as the independent variable. I think the
mistake you're making is that when you put cost on the x-axis, as cost
decreases, you're going from left to right, not right to left. Simply, as
one goes up, the other goes down. In a positive correlation, as one goes
up, the other goes up.

The only question I didn't really like was the average speed question.
First, that concept (not to average the averages) is challenging for some
students in physics, let alone algebra 1 students. But what particularly
bothered me is that the distance and speed are pretty unrealistic to any of
our students who do a lot of hiking. (And a lot of my students in the past
have been avid hikers; one former student (and former member of our
backpacking club - yes, we have hikers) recently completed an around the
U.S. hike.) It's like "A hiker" is in the same way that "A biker" is Lance
Armstrong, or "A guy driving a car" is Dale Earnhardt.

-Tom Kenyon
CRCS Mathematics/Physics
tkenyon@crcs.wnyric.org