Topic: How to I get Maple to spit out 1?
Replies: 6   Last Post: Jul 14, 2011 4:30 PM

Axel Vogt

Re: How to I get Maple to spit out 1?

On 14.07.2011 01:27, Salmon Egg wrote:
> I already know the answer.
>
> If I get to an expression
>
> z := x*exp(-(1/2)*x)/(2*sinh((1/2)*x))*((exp(x)-1)/x)
>
> How do I get Maple to spit out 1? simplify does not do it.
>
> I looked at the help for simplify, and looked up convert and then See
> Also. That looked promising, so I went to help on Convert. Convert had a
> bus load of optional arguments. exp looked promising and worked, much to
> my pleasant surprise.
>
> If I were even less knowledgeable than I am, how could I go about
> finding a correct approach? Is it merely an empirical search? Is there a
> guidebook? Suppose I had a much more complicated expression, say with
> radicals and Bessel functions. Us there a cookbook approach to
> simplification?

For guessing I often just plot as a first step ...

Difficult to say, though I would expect that Maple would try
to convert hyperbolics to exp, as we would do, since other
exp terms are present.

The simplification problem is not specific for Maple, but it
is a problem in any symbolic software system (thus I included
sci.math.symbolic)