Replies: 12   Last Post: Jul 20, 2011 5:23 PM

kathleen Offenholley

Re: [math-learn] Re: Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2
att1.html (24.8 K)

I was one of those motivated students. But my (traditionally taught) physics class bewildered me. I got through it by noticing that most of it seemed to be about first and second derivatives (I had had calculus). But I felt that I don't understand most of the biggest concepts -- gravity, objects attracting. I would have loved to see any of it actually at work, to have tried some experiments, to have dropped those two balls from the Tower of Piza and seen which one landed first.

When I was in high school, they had a math class for the "dumb" kids that involved lots of measuring and building things. And even though I was in Calculus and loved my (lecturing) professor, I wished I could build and measure things.

Lecturing is certainly efficient, or at least it feels that way and we are used to it. But I have had some of my best experiences discovering things for myself (perhaps in a very guided way, perhaps not) and I don't see why we should have lecturing OR exploration, why not room for both?

The whole idea of polar opposites, ones or zeros, it gets old. There is much of value -- for motivated and smart students, and for bored and disengaged ones as well, in the well-blended middle ground, that takes traditional and new paths and blends them. I would say more, but I would just end up hectoring you for not listening to each other. So I will stop.

Kathleen

Sent from my iPad