Topic: PARCC
Replies: 16   Last Post: Aug 22, 2011 1:57 PM

Eleanor Pupko

RE: Geometry #21
att1.html (9.1 K)

This discussion is precisely why I am alarmed about the new Core. At the high school level I really don't see much in the way of what I am supposed to teach. I get that students need to be problem solvers, persistent, etc. and am on board with that, but unless we know more about the skills needed to solve these problems, students will be continually penalized by the system.

Here is an example on the Algebra 2/Trig exam that actually involved a skill I KNEW needed to be taught. Students were required to solve an absolute value inequality and graph the solution set on a number line drawn in the booklet. Many of my students did exactly that and did it correctly. Yet they lost one or two points because the rubric REQUIRED that the answer also be written as an inequality with the word OR, in addition to graphing it on the number line. NOwhere did it state that it had to be done algebraically. It could have been done graphically.

The new Core is too vague and will lead to way more unpleasant surprises. And if the test questions are not released, we will never know what we failed to cover.

I would like to see something similar to the Acorn book for Advanced Placement Calculus issued by the College Board. Without mandating when or how, it conveys to a teacher exactly what needs to be accomplished.

Eleanor Pupko

From: bobbi@alumni.nd.edu
Subject: Re: Geometry #21
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:06:46 -0400
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org

Yes, it would because in that case a trap could be a parallelogram.
I remember the back-and-forth of a few years ago that you mention because in my first years of teaching (1962+) I had a Regents geom class and an honors geom. The textbook for the Regents geom had the usual def of a trapezoid while the book for the honors class had the other def. that you mentioned.
Bobbi E
On Aug 18, 2011, at 10:32 AM, elizwaite@aol.com wrote:I believe isosceles trapezoid is correct. Although I do recall an earlier conversation on this list from several years ago where a few people defined a trapezoid as a quadrilateral with AT LEAST one pair of parallel sides where most of us used EXACTLY one pair of parallel sides. This would make a difference, I think.

Liz Waite