Topic: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Replies: 69   Last Post: Apr 6, 2012 9:58 PM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash >and an alternative
att1.html (20.1 K)

The Khan-math story cannot be shrugged off as merely being more of the same bad "math-ed" virus that long has permeated the nation. It is uniquely dangerous ... but also has the potentials for nurturing great progress.

True math-educators tend to focus on the math-ed information which Khan provides to his viewers. But apart from his presentations, the instructional technology that he has developed can greatly expedite national and personal efforts to teach/learn good math or bad math, depending on the instructional goals ... healthy or unhealthy efforts, depending on the instructional strategies, and collateral effects (e.g. "math anxiety").

But let's be fair. Khan was an engineering student who was reared
through the American traditional public perceptions of what "mathematics" is
and how it should be taught. He is contributing a demonstration of how
America's traditional curricular math-story [good, bad, or whatever it is] can be couched into a particular
technological format. He is a *camera* ... a video-disseminator of what he has been taught. He did NOT write the mathematical scripts ... and must not be blamed for their math-ed flaws. In fact (unlike so many "experts"), Kahn might still be educable ... or responsive to enlightened guidance for improving the quality of his math library ... from those who can offer something better than complaints.

The threat is not that his present kind of "education" in what he presently thinks is "mathematics" might infect the system. Way too late for that. The system long has been thoroughly infected by the same "parrot virus". The danger is that Khan (like many others before him) has unleashed a *better, more effective, more efficient way of doing a job* . He is using it for a job that most math teachers already are trying to do ... a parrot-training job whose doings continue to cultivate a national educational disaster. The same technology also could be used for much healthier purposes.

The danger is that, on the wings of a better *instructional media* technology, our students, citizens, and nation now can be even faster headed toward further worsening an already horrible situation. The "harnessing" challenge is clear: use the same instructional-media technology to do what *should* be done ... perhaps even by educating Kahn.

Wishfully,
Clyde