Topic: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)

Replies: 10   Last Post: Oct 24, 2011 1:46 PM

gWilkie@highlands.com

Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)

att1.html (8.7 K)

I know the 3-8 tests are secure ...

Hopefully the new PARRC tests will not be ... students, parents and teachers
need to know what errors a student makes on a test - a performance indicator
does not do the job especially when the performance indicator has layers.
Being told that a student missed 12,23,24,26 and so on is not helpful ...
what did they do wrong on those questions - was it a major or minor error...
In a basketball game the students play the game.

After the game the coach and players view the game to see where the player
made an error and how to improve. Teachers and students, as well, should
have time to review the individual tests - the teacher should not only go
over it with the student so they know what they had wrong but it should also
be used to inform the teacher and to challenge the teacher to improve.

I am also concerned about errors on the test. We have had them in the past
- just because a test is secure does not mean that it is error free. How
will this tests be checked to make sure their are no errors on it or the
scoring guides?

As always
Grace Wilkie