Topic: Common Core
Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 27, 2011 10:40 PM

Tennantij@aol.com

Re: Common Core
att1.html (8.9 K)

I sent this out to all as both Liz Waite and I were in on the SED conference call on August 30, 2011, in which John Svendsen did tell us to hang tight as far as High School Mathematics was concerned as the Board had not made a decision. He promised to let us know as soon as anything changed but in his busyness, he did not until I emailed him a couple times. So, below was his message--we already knew they were going with the traditional pathways, not the intergrated approach.

In August he did tell us the Algrebra curriculum could be introduced in 2012-2013, but he thought at that time, that it would not be put into place until the following year, 2013-2014. He said, hang tight and just add the mathematical practices until the decision is made. So, I guess even working at SED, one can never second guess what is going to be approved. All of us have our work cut out for us! For some grades, there are more changes than at others and the gaps have to be filled! We will talk with John on Oct 5th and if you have questions for him, email Liz Waite or myself and we will pose them to him.
Iva Jean Tennant

This is the message I received from John S, one of our math associates at SED.

Now to answer your questions. The Board approved the traditional pathway for the high school in January.

NYS has decided to use the Appendix A that is posted on our website as the course standards for Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II. These are the standards that students should know and be able to do for each course and will subsequently be assessed on according to the timeline you mentioned.

"So, has the board approved switching to CCSS for integrated algebra for 12-13 school year but using our state test that has been aligned to CCSS and the same for the next year with geometry?" Yes.
The Board has not yet officially adopted the PARCC assessments at any level. The assessments will be based on the NYS P-12 CCLSM for 3-8 and Algebra I for 2012-13 and the assessments will be designed by NYS. This will continue for 2013-2014 and include Geometry. After that is when PARCC will take over, if adopted. NYS can, and may, only adopt 3-8 and continue with Regents Examinations at the high school level, or not. Or, at that point, continue with creating all of the examinations in house. I hope this helps clarify the situation at hand.
This still leaves many questions. New test specs still have to be created. I will give you the information as it unfolds at this end. We are in for a whirlwind for the next few years. I am confident though that our relationship with AMTNYS will help to get the message out as we move through it all.